Thursday, June 7, 2012

Brother Lawrence

Brother Lawrence, a monk is best known for his ideas of practicing the presence of God.  He wrote about finding God in simple acts, like washing the dishes.  This morning I was woken up by a friend who does my lawn.  I realized I hadn't pick-up my dogs droppings that week so I went out, still groggy and waved to Grady who was just as groggy and got to work.  As I did so, I felt God come.  I was struck by the realization that my life is very good not because anything I have done but because of the community that God has built around me.  In this brother Lawrence moment I was reminded that happiness/joy is pouring out into this world what you want the most.  As of late I have been caught once again in having a list of things to do or obtain to make me happy.  Needless to say I have failed.  In failing I was brought back into the reality that joy and peace are gifts of God to give unto others. 

After cleaning I began my morning routine. Looking into the mirror I found myself looking examining myself not in my usual destructive way but this time there was something I hadn't seen before.  It was beauty.  However, not physical beauty but I can only describe it as God-given beauty this glow of joy. I've never seen before and can only hope to see again.  I think it was a gift from the Holy Spirit to me today as I continue in another phase of my life(birthday).  I am not alone and I am loved. 

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Em! Life is good. Even picking up dog droppings. You are not alone! And you are loved and very beautiful. I hope you had a nice birthday, dog droppings and all. :-)

    ReplyDelete