Saturday, February 5, 2011

Yellow!

Note: This is from one of my many journals that I randomly write in. I recently discovered as I'm moving from being a piler of my crap, to a filer of my crap. I believe the entry was from new years a couple of years ago.

There is a tradition in Latin America that on New Years Eve is good luck to wear a new pair of underwear.  Last year I asked my mother to buy me new underwear for the new year.

"What color?" she asks. Now this isn't a strange questions because the color represents what part of your life you'll have good luck in..  Red = love White= harmony and peace, yellow= money, blue= health. 
So despite the last year of hurt and unluckiness in love I hesitated in telling my mother. This is the woman who's response to me telling her that my boy friend dumped me was; "Good riddance." The truth was all I wanted was  beautiful brand new pair of red panties to ring in the New Year. 

So instead I respond nonchalantly "Whatever color you think."

So what color does she get me ...


Yellow!

The color that will bring in for the new year money and prosperity. That is what she wishes for me. My mother who's personal philosophy was "stick to your man" despite years of abuse and betrayal.  The last person I'd label a feminist. Or look to for an example to take as a strong woman.

How wrong am I! As I look back I think. YELLOW! Prosperity, self assurance. My mother is one of  my biggest advocates. With that pair of yellow panties she lifts up a prayer for me.  That I may be fueled to prosper.  While yes, my mother may not be good with words. I try to remember YELLOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment